CSHPS Annual Meeting
The Canadian Society for the History and Philosophy of Science (CSHPS) is holding its annual conference as part of the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, May 27-29, 2023. The meeting will be in person with some hybrid/online elements at York University, Toronto.
Program & Abstracts
CSHPS-SCHPS Annual Conference
York University, Toronto, 27-29 May 2023
HPS Cambridge University
This year’s Drake Lecture will be given by Hasok Chang (HPS, Cambridge University).
History and philosophy of chemistry and physics from the 18th century onward; philosophy of scientific practice; other topics in the philosophy of science, including realism, pluralism, pragmatism, measurement, and evidence.
The Program Committee invites scholars working on the history and philosophy of science (broadly construed)to submit abstracts for individual papers or proposals for sessions (typically 3 papers). Unrelated topics and themes are also welcome.
- Meeting languages: The CSHPS is a bilingual society. Individual papers may be given in English or French, but efforts to broaden participation are appreciated (e.g. a presentation in English could be accompanied by a PowerPoint in French, and vice versa). Similarly, sessions can be presented in either English or French, but bilingual sessions are especially welcomed.
- Joint sessions: The CSHPS meeting overlaps with the meeting dates of a number of other member societies of the CFHSS. We welcome proposals for joint sessions with these and other societies (please mention this specifically in your session proposal). However, no talk will be accepted for presentation at more than one society.
- Number of submissions: Individuals can only submit one abstract for the CSHPS meeting (i.e. either an abstract for an individual paper or an abstract as part of a session proposal).
- Submissions via EasyChair:
- In order to preserve the anonymity of authors, it is important that contact information and other identifying information be excluded from the file containing the abstract.
- Individual paper submissions should include a file with a title and a brief abstract (150-250 words), and—on the EasyChair form—the author’s name and contact information, and a list of keywords.
- Session proposals should include a single file with a session title, titles and brief abstracts (150-250 words) for each paper, and—on the EasyChair form—the names and contact information of the presenters and session organizer, and a list of keywords. In the ‘keyword’ field please include the word ‘SESSION.’
- Proposals should be in pdf format.
- Deadline: January 2, 2023
- Submissions: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=cshps2023
- Presenters: All presenters must be members of the CSHPS at the time of the meeting. For more information about CSHPS membership, consult HERE.
- Student Prize: The CSHPS offers two Richard Hadden Awards for the best two student papers presented at the meeting. To be considered for the award, students should submit an anonymized copy of their paper by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15, 2023. Details can be found HERE.
- Bursaries:For the 2023 meeting, CSHPS is offering bursaries of $200 to graduate students and independent scholars to help defray the costs of registration fees and travel, on condition that they apply for Early Bird registration for Congress prior to March 31 (to get the discounted rate). Up to 40 awards will be offered and will be available upon request on a first-come first served basis. Applications may be submitted to the CSHPS Treasurer either before or after the 2023 meeting. Receipts for registration and travel expenses may be provided after the 2023 meeting.
- CFHSS: Information about Congress registration will be available at the CFHSS congress website: https://www.federationhss.ca/en/congress/congress-2023 .
Program Committee (2022-2023): Antoine Dussault (Lionel-Groulx), Catherine Stinson (Queens), James Elwick (York)(Chair)
Local Arrangements: Ernst Hamm (York)
Contact email: email@example.com
Richard Hadden Award
The Richard Hadden Award for best student paper at the CSHPS Annual Meeting.
For the 2023 meeting, CSHPS is offering bursaries of $200 to graduate students and independent scholars to help defray the costs of registration fees and travel, on condition that they apply for Early Bird registration for Congress prior to March 31 (to get the discounted rate). Up to 40 awards will be offered and will be available upon request on a first-come first served basis. Applications may be submitted to the CSHPS Treasurer either before or after the 2023 meeting. Receipts for registration and travel expenses may be provided after the 2023 meeting.
We encourage donations to the student travel fund. You can donate any amount ($10, $20, or even $100) secure in the knowledge that all proceeds will help students come to the congress to present their work.
Past Meetings of the Society:
May 29-June 2, 2021
University of Alberta (virtual meeting), Edmonton, Alberta, Program or Program and Abstracts
May 30-June 1, 2020
University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, canceled see the program and the abstracts in Communiqué 101.
June 1-3, 2019
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Program or Program and Abstracts
May 26-28, 2018
University of Regina, Regina, Saskatchewan, Program and Abstracts.
May 28-30, 2016
University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, see Communiqué No 93 Spring/Printemps 2016 for the Programme and Abstracts
May 30-June 1, 2015
University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, see Communiqué No 90, Spring/Printemps 2015 for the Programme and Abstracts.
May 24-26, 2014
Brock University, St. Catharines, Program
May 28-31, 2010
Concordia University, Montreal, Program & Abstracts
August 5-7, 2004
Joint Meeting of CSHPS, BSHS, & HSS in Nova Scotia, Program