CSHPS Annual Meeting
The Canadian Society for the History and Philosophy of Science (CSHPS) is holding its annual conference as part of the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, June 19-21, 2024. The meeting will be in person with some hybrid/online elements at McGill University, Montreal. The theme for Congress this year is Sustaining shared futures.
Call For Papers
CSHPS-SCHPS Annual Conference
McGill University, Montreal, 19-21 June 2024
History of Science and Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality, Harvard University
This year’s Drake Lecture will be given by Sarah Richardson (Harvard).
Richardson’s research uses the tools of history, philosophy, and social studies of science to analyze how scientists, in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, understand sex and gender.
The Program Committee invites scholars working on the history and philosophy of science (broadly construed) to submit abstracts for individual papers or proposals for sessions (typically 3 papers). Program slots for individual papers are 30 minutes in length (20 minutes to present with 10 minutes for questions) while program slots for sessions are 90 minutes in length (including time for questions). The committee encourages proposals on the Congress theme, Sustaining shared futures, though unrelated topics are also welcome. Additionally, we encourage proposals that engage diverse perspectives, especially the voices, perspectives, and scientific projects of those who, historically, have been overlooked in our disciplines.
- Meeting languages: CSHPS is a bilingual society. Individual papers may be given in English or French, but efforts to broaden participation are appreciated (e.g. a presentation in English could be accompanied by a PowerPoint in French, and vice versa). Similarly, sessions can be presented in either English or French, but bilingual sessions are especially welcomed.
- Joint sessions: The CSHPS meeting overlaps with the meeting dates of a number of other member societies of the CFHSS. We welcome proposals for joint sessions with these and other societies (please mention this specifically in your session proposal). However, no talk will be accepted for presentation at more than one society.
- Number of submissions: Individuals can only submit one abstract for the CSHPS meeting (i.e. either an abstract for an individual paper or an abstract as part of a session proposal).
- Submissions via EasyChair:
- In order to preserve the anonymity of authors, it is important that contact information and other identifying information be excluded from the file containing the abstract.
- Individual paper submissions should include a file with a title and a brief abstract (150-250 words), and—on the EasyChair form—the author’s name and contact information, and a list of keywords.
- Session proposals should include a single file with a session title, titles and brief abstracts (150-250 words) for each paper, and—on the EasyChair form—the names and contact information of the presenters and session organizer, and a list of keywords. In the ‘keyword’ field please include the word ‘SESSION.’
- Proposals should be in pdf format.
- Deadline: January 15, 2024
- Submission Portal: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=cshps2024
- All presenters must be members of CSHPS at the time of the meeting. For more information about CSHPS membership, consult https://cshps.ca/membership/.
- Student Prize: The CSHPS offers the Richard Hadden Award, a book prize for the best student paper presented at the meeting. This is now associated with the Graduate Merit Award (value, $500), which is sponsored by the CFHSS. To be considered for these awards, students should submit a copy of their paper by e-mail to email@example.com by March 15, 2024. Details of this prize and instruction on manuscript preparation can be found at https://cshps.ca/richard-hadden-award/.
- Bursaries: For the 2024 meeting, CSHPS is offering bursaries of up to $150 to graduate students and independent scholars to help defray the costs of registration fees and travel, on condition that they apply for Early Bird registration for Congress prior to March 31 (to get the discounted rate). Up to 30 awards will be offered and will be available upon request on a first come first served basis. Applications may be submitted to the CSHPS Treasurer either before or after the 2024 meeting. Receipts for registration and travel expenses are required, but may be provided after the 2024 meeting.
- CFHSS: Information about Congress registration will be available at the CFHSS congress website: https://www.federationhss.ca/en/congress2024.
Program Committee (2023-2024): Delia Gavrus (Winnipeg), Molly Kao (Université de Montréal), Mahdi Khelfaoui (Trois Rivières), Letitia Meynell (Dalhousie) (Chair)
Local Arrangements: David Theodore (McGill)
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Richard Hadden Award
The Richard Hadden Award for best student paper at the CSHPS Annual Meeting.
For the 2023 meeting, CSHPS is offering bursaries of $200 to graduate students and independent scholars to help defray the costs of registration fees and travel, on condition that they apply for Early Bird registration for Congress prior to March 31 (to get the discounted rate). Up to 40 awards will be offered and will be available upon request on a first-come first served basis. Applications may be submitted to the CSHPS Treasurer either before or after the 2023 meeting. Receipts for registration and travel expenses may be provided after the 2023 meeting.
We encourage donations to the student travel fund. You can donate any amount ($10, $20, or even $100) secure in the knowledge that all proceeds will help students come to the congress to present their work.
Past Meetings of the Society:
York University, Programs and Abstract
May 29-June 2, 2021
May 30-June 1, 2020
University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, canceled see the program and the abstracts in Communiqué 101.
June 1-3, 2019
May 26-28, 2018
University of Regina, Regina, Saskatchewan, Program and Abstracts.
May 28-30, 2016
University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, see Communiqué No 93 Spring/Printemps 2016 for the Programme and Abstracts
May 30-June 1, 2015
University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, see Communiqué No 90, Spring/Printemps 2015 for the Programme and Abstracts.
May 24-26, 2014
Brock University, St. Catharines, Program
May 28-31, 2010
Concordia University, Montreal, Program & Abstracts
August 5-7, 2004
Joint Meeting of CSHPS, BSHS, & HSS in Nova Scotia, Program